Top Five Things to Look for When Hiring a Divorce Mediator
If you’re contemplating a divorce or separation, it can be devastating and stressful. You may be facing uncertainty in many areas of your life and hesitant about the next steps to take. It’s extremely beneficial to enlist professional help to protect yourself. A divorce mediator and parenting coordinator can assist in the break-up of a marriage and restructuring of the family unit. Mediators can guide you to a resolution or settlement that will be acceptable to all parties involved.
Given the sensitive nature of separation and divorce, it’s important to hire a trustworthy and compassionate professional. To help you find the right fit for your needs, we’ve compiled a list of the top five things to look for when hiring a divorce mediator.
1. Dedicated mediator. What percentage of the mediator's practice is specific to divorce mediation? Try to find someone who practices mediation 100% of the time.
2. Background and experience. What background and experience does the divorce mediator have specific to divorce, children, finances, the courts, attorney's, etc.? Hire someone who has an extensive knowledge and experience specifically in divorce circumstances.
3. Cost. What are the mediator's hourly rates and retainer compared to their experience? Are they fair? Is the payment structure manageable for you? You will be in contact with your mediator a lot during the process. Find a mediator that isn't going to nickel and dime you every time you reach out to them.
4. Accessibility. How quickly does a mediator respond to emails, phone calls, and text messages? Are they readily available to answer questions and do they truly care about you and your family? Find a mediator who is responsive and has office hours that are convenient for you.
5. References. What do past clients and other professionals have to say about the mediator? Though there will always be people who aren't happy, is there a positive response to the mediator? Hire a mediator with a solid track record and good reviews.
For qualified and compassionate mediation services in Chicago, Illinois, and the surrounding areas, contact C.E.L. & Associates. With several locations to serve you, C.E.L. & Associates offers pre-decree divorce agreements, post-decree divorce agreements, marital/family mediation, and co-mediation services. Don’t hesitate to call! Mediation can be arranged at any stage of divorce.